Tuesday, March 24, 2009

My Latest Update

Hello everyone! This weekend has been quite exciting for me and my foster mom! Within the last few days, I have felt comfortable enough to show my foster mom some more of my cute personality.

I’ve been trying to play with mom in the yard by play bowing and then letting her chase me. It’s been so much fun. I also like to lie on my back and let her rub my belly. Sometimes I try to chew on the couch pillows too! I’m not really sure how to play, but I think I’m catching on!

I’ve finally met my foster mom’s two dogs, Cali (a GSP) and Maxwell (a Rottweiler). At first, I wasn’t sure what to do and tensed up a bit, but it wasn’t that scary. Both dogs have been pretty nice to me and I am learning to become more comfortable with them too. My foster mom says that I did very well because I did not growl or bark at them. I do enjoy watching them run around the backyard and play with each other. I’m still not sure what to do and sometimes they play rough and that scares me. At that point, I just stay clear of them. Maybe one day I will try to play, but right now I just like watching them. I think I would enjoy having a doggy brother or sister of my own one day!

Car rides are getting better. I’ve learned that trying to climb up front can be dangerous, so I just lay down in the back with my seatbelt on. I like short rides because I don’t get sick. With some more exposure, I think my belly will stop hurting. Today I even sat up and watched out the window…very interesting!

I am also gaining weight like a pro! Getting yummy food everyday is great and I even like treats now! I’ve gained 2 pounds since my vet visit last Thursday. My foster mom even had to make my collar a little bigger because it was getting too tight! I only have about 5 pounds or so to go!
On Saturday, we went for a walk up near a very busy street. Those cards sure are scary, but I did well. I only laid down a couple times, but then I started to realize that those cars aren’t going to hurt me. I will still need some work in that department, but other than that, leash walking is going great.

I am also told that I am one smart boy! It only took me a couple tries to understand the word “sit”. I also think I know some other commands like Phoenix, come, stay, outside, and off. None of these are 100%, but I’ll get there.

Crate training is going much better. I’ve finally realized that I can hold myself until someone comes to let me out. My foster mom hasn’t had to clean up a mess in 3 days! I also do not cry anymore at night.

Mom is still waiting for some test results from the vet, but she thinks I will be ready to find a new home soon. I am still very shy with new people and it will take me quite some time to trust my new family. I’ve come along so quickly since I’ve been with my foster mom, she has high hopes for me! My ideal home would be a quiet one with no young children. I think I would do great with another dog, but probably no cats. I also would like someone that can socialize me and show me that the world is not as scary as I think it is.

Obedience classes are a must for me. Not only will this help me learn more human language, but it will create a strong bond between me and my new owner. It will also allow me to gain some more confidence in myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment