Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Update from Phoenix on my 3rd day of my new life

Hi, my name is Phoenix and my foster mom tells me I am one special boy. My life up until my arrival in NJ has been rough and confusing. But now I have a wonderful foster home and am learning that life isn’t so bad after all. Though I am still a little shy and unsure, I am learning that people are nice. I especially love to be pet and cuddled. However, I need time to get to know you first, as I can’t just trust anyone (can’t blame me, right?)

I am learning lots of new things from my foster mom, like pottying outside, walking on a leash (I sure hate that thing), keeping my paws off of everything, spending time alone (without crying), and lots more. Foster Mom says I am learning quickly (GSPs are smart!), but I still have a long way to go.

My biggest issue is trust... Sometimes I like to pretend I am not there, by lying perfectly still on my dog bed when things get scary. I am beginning to trust my foster mom because she is always around (I love that), but not everyone is so lucky. Foster Mom says I have to go to a family that will be gentle, kind, and patient with me.

Leash walking is coming around. Some things are scary and new, so I like to lie down on the ground and refuse to move. I have to admit, I enjoyed my walk in the woods, but other dogs scared me a little, so we had to turn the other way. Foster Mom says it will be okay and we are working on my confidence.

I have a long way to go and I’m not quite ready to leave my foster mom. She says I’m still too skinny, but once I gain some weight and some much needed confidence, I’ll be ready to have a home of my own. Stayed tuned for updates!

Love, Phoenix

No comments:

Post a Comment